At Cactus Tattoo and Body Piercing most of our appointments are scheduled in advance, however, all of our artists do take walk-ins when they are available. Our Schedule may get booked up very quickly, especially on the weekends, so please make arrangements far enough in advance if you would like a secure a certain artist, day and/or time. We take appointments Monday through Saturday 12pm – 8pm.
At Cactus Tattoo, our staff are dedicated to providing you with the best services, in a positive, friendly, and safe environment. It is our goal to continually improve the quality of our services and ensure customer satisfaction.
In conjunction with Minnesota State Law: All customers must be at least 18 years old to get tattooed. If you are under the age of 18: You CANNOT get a tattoo in Minnesota—even with the consent of your parent or guardian.
DRUGS AND ALCOHOL
Our artists, at Cactus Tattoo, will not tattoo anyone obviously intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. We reserve the right to deny service to anyone we believe to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. This is for your safety as well as the safety of our tattoo artists.
If you would like to receive a tattoo you MUST present one of the following VALID forms of identification:
- State-issued driver’s license or state-issued identification card
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Military identification card issued by the United States Department of Defense
- Tribal identification card
If your state ID or driver’s license is expired, you MUST bring the white renewal papers with you. If you do not bring one of these forms of identification you will not get tattooed and will forfeit your appointment. No exceptions. Social Security Cards and insurance cards do not qualify as valid IDs.
Hints & Tips
TATTOO APPOINTMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
Here is a list of recommendations to help you be properly prepared for your appointment:
1. Bring a Valid Government Issued ID
2. Be hydrated- Drink plenty of water before your appointment.
3. Eat a solid meal –Eat plenty of food, especially if your appointment is more than 2 hours. If you have not eaten your blood sugar is more likely to become low and may increase the chance for lightheadedness.
4. Be well rested-Getting tattooed can make you feel drained. It is harder to sit still and more painful when you are fatigued.
5. Wear loose insignificant clothing- Do not wear clothing that you do not want to get any ink on. Also, your tattoo will heal better if your clothing is not rubbing or irritating the area. And please wear clothing that makes it easy for the artist to access the area and be prepared to remove clothing if necessary.
6. Relax- The more relaxed you can be about the situation the easier it will be.
7. Do not get sunburnt-We will not tattoo you if the location the tattoo will be placed is red, inflamed, or noticeably peeling. Trust us it would be much more painful and damaging for you and your skin.
8. Do not drink alcohol or take illegal drugs at least 24 hours prior-It will be harder on you and the artist. Alcohol will make you dehydrated and you will bleed more, thus having a negative effect on your new tattoo.
9. Due to COVID-19 we are not allowing friends to accompany you. We will let you know if/when that changes.
10. Do not shave the area-Let your artist shave for you. This will eliminate the chance of razor bumps.
11. Please silence your cell phone. Phone conversations, face timing, and ringing phones are very distracting for the artists. You are always welcome to bring headphones.
A FEW ADDITIONAL TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND
- While getting tattooed, if you start to feel dizzy or lightheaded make sure to tell your artist immediately. It is best to just take a break when needed.
- Try to sit as still as possible. If you get stiff and need to change positions just let your artist know so you can do so. Also, if you feel a sneeze, cough or any other sudden movements coming PLEASE let your artist know in advance. Any sudden movements may cause problem without warning.
- Please trust our knowledge, information and recommendations when healing your tattoo. If you have issues or sensitivities with any products, we recommend please discuss possible alternatives with your artist.
- If you are allergic to anything on our consent form please put a check next to the allergy or type in the allergy if it is not there. Also, please VERBALLY inform your artist of all allergies especially those to: Bactine, red pigments/ink, latex, petroleum, antibiotic ointment, and isopropyl alcohol.
TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
After you have received your new tattoo there are a few steps that are important to follow in order to ensure a quick and easy healing period. If you are aware of any skin allergies or sensitivities you may have, please discuss them with your tattoo artist BEFORE your tattoo is started.
BANDAGING & CLEANING YOUR TATTOO
We have two types of bandages that we use. The first type is Saniderm, which is a (clear), thin film, breathable bandage that you can leave on for several days. The alternative is Dri-loc, a bandage that can be left on for 2-24 hours.
Saniderm is our preferred bandage method, however, on rare occasions can cause skin irritations. If your skin is sensitive to adhesives in medical grade bandages let your artist know and we will cover your tattoo with the alternative. Saniderm bandage is permeable enough for oxygen and water vapor to pass through. This is important, as it allows the wounded area to maintain optimal levels of breathability. Additionally, it protects against dirt and germs, offering protection from friction and other irritants. Saniderm works by locking in your body’s natural healing fluids so your tattoo stays hydrated and heals quickly and efficiently with less scabbing and reduced scarring. When removing Saniderm it is helpful to peel it back against itself, rather than pulling out away from your body. Doing this in the shower can be helpful in loosening the bandage if it feels particularly stuck to your skin. Gently wash the tattoo with your hand and a bit of soapy water after the bandage is removed. Let air dry before applying lotion.
Leave your Dri-loc (black) bandage on for a minimum of 2 to 4 hours or overnight if specified by the artist. Clean the tattoo as soon the bandage is removed. Make sure to remove all ointment and blood by gently washing the area with water, mild soap, and clean hands. If more fluids come to the surface, clean it again until the area is dry, and smooth.
If the tattoo feels tight and swollen, we recommend applying a cold compress over the bandaged area for 10-15 minutes for the first 2 days. This can help keep swelling to a minimum.
OINTMENTS, LOTIONS & AFTERCARE PRODUCTS
The tattoo must breathe in order to heal so please be mindful of how much product you are applying. You do not want your skin to feel wet, sticky, or overly saturated. Once the bandage has been removed switch to a water-based, fragrance free lotion such as: Aveeno, Lubriderm, Jergens, or Curel. Apply the lotion 3-5 times daily for the next 2-3 weeks minimum. Do not use oil based lotions, Vaseline, aloe vera, or vitamin products.
We also offer an optional aftercare product for sale called H2OCEAN Skin Moisturizing Foam. H2Ocean Tattoo Foam may help speed and ease the tattoo healing process. This product should be applied as directed according to the aftercare instructions displayed on the container. If you have any questions about these aftercare products, please ask one of the Cactus Tattoo employees.
Each artist guarantees their work, and will touch up your tattoo free of charge, once, within the first 6 months when necessary. When making a touch up appointment you must wait 1-2 months to ensure that the tattoo is fully healed. Also, we need to see an image of the current condition of your tattoo to determine the time needed for a touch up appointment. We DO NOT do free touch ups on hands or feet. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to give us a call (507-387-6601) or email your tattoo pictures to email@example.com.
SHOWERING, HEALING TIME & SUN EXPOSURE
Take your showers as quickly as possible without submerging the tattoo directly underwater. After showering pat the area dry. Excessive exposure to steam should also be limited. In addition, it is important to avoid all chlorinated bodies of water, lakes and rivers until the tattoo is healed. Your tattoo will take at least one month to fully heal. Leave all scabs on as long as naturally possible. The tattoo will itch, and PLEASE DO NOT SCRATCH IT. A quick slap or a bit of lotion will ease the itch, but scratching may damage the tattoo. Your skin may look flaky or white for a few days, this is normal, and it will go away. You must not expose your tattoo to natural or artificial sun for a minimum of one month. After the first month, always wear sunscreen with a SPF of 45 or higher but remember it is always best to cover the tattoo when exposed to the sun for long periods of time. Sun exposure can be the most damaging factor in how your tattoos hold up over time. With proper care tattoos can look great for a longtime.
Prices & Appointments
Pricing tattoos can be difficult especially when the specifics of the tattoo have not been decided. Bigger pieces with multiple sessions are usually quoted on an hourly basis. Our hourly rates also vary for each artist ranging from $100-$180 an hour. Smaller, single session tattoos are usually quoted by the individual piece. The price depends upon several factors:
Please know that we are UNABLE to give price/time quotes over the phone. Without seeing the image first and figuring out all the other specifics it is impossible to give you even an estimated price. We can tell you that our shop minimum is $80-100. Although, most tattoos are above the minimum price.
Cactus Tattoo requires at least a $50-100 deposit for tattoo appointments. Consultations and Touch-ups are excluded. The deposit holds your appointment time and lets us know that you are seriously interested in getting tattooed. The $50-100 deposit goes towards the cost of your tattoo and will be deducted from the total price at the end. We accept Cash, Visa, Mastercard or Discover. Sorry we do not accept checks.
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment you must give us at least a 24-hour notice or you will forfeit your deposit. If you do need to reschedule, we will gladly transfer your deposit over to your new appointment time.
Most of our appointments are made in advance, although, all our artists do take walk-ins when they are available. It can be rare that we have walk-in availability, and it is best to make an appointment to guarantee you can get in. Our schedule may get booked up very quickly, weeks ahead of time and especially on the weekends, so please decide far enough in advance if you would like to secure a certain artist, day and/or time.
EMAIL TO SCHEDULE APPOINTMENTS
If you would like to make an appointment or would just like to get a quote for your tattoo idea email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the following details:
- Phone Number
- What you would like, in detail
- Where on your body & please be specific: include left, right, center AND bicep, upper back, side, foot, ankle etc.
- Approximate size of tattoo in inches (width x height)
- Which artist you prefer
- Changes or alterations in design
- Attach images/references to help explain your tattoo idea
- If getting any text/script please send us a word document of the word or phrase in the size and font you would like
Our receptionists will reply to your email as soon as possible. Occasionally emails will get diverted to spam so let us know if it has been a day or two since you emailed, and we will be happy to get you a quote. Please feel free to contact our shop at (507) 387-6601 Monday thru Saturday Noon – 8pm if you are ready to schedule an appointment. PLEASE NOTE that emailing us is the fastest and most efficient way to start the process and get appointments made.
In addition, please note that our receptionists schedule all our appointments and are trained and willing to assist you to the best of their knowledge. If you would like to speak to an artist directly please set up a consultation with the artist of your choosing.
Often for custom pieces, cover-ups, re-works, portraits and larger pieces it is necessary to schedule a consultation with the artist you are seeking before your actual tattoo appointment. Consultations are free and only take about 15 minutes. It can be helpful to discuss your idea with your artist to help finalize any loose ends or ask any questions you might have. Please bring in any references and images that you might have to help capture your idea.
TATTOO DESIGNS, IMAGES & ARTWORK
We have plenty of reference books, tattoo magazines and flash to look at that can help you decide what kind of tattoo you would like to get. Also, searching the internet or local library may also be helpful. Feel free to bring in artwork of your own. We also do a lot of custom tattoos so if you need help drawing or portraying your idea just set up consultation with an artist of your choice, and we will help make your idea come to life. Each artist has a portfolio of their work you can look at that can help you decide who you would like to do your tattoo.